Most laptop series from all manufacturers follow a common layout for power button placement. When you buy one, open the lid and look back and forth between the screen and the keyboard. You will find a round or elliptical knob.
Dell manufacturers have come up with different power button layouts and positions, which may be a bit complex for some users when trying to turn on their computers.
On a Dell Latitude, Inspiron, XPS 13, or 15 you will find that the power button is in a specific location depending on the model you are using.
Where is the power button on a Dell laptop?
The power button on a Dell laptop is usually located in the top right corner between the keyboard and the display.
Dell laptops have the same power button layout in the same place, some Dell laptops have different power button layouts in different places compared to other laptops.
The power button design can be round or rectangular and mostly have a power symbol on it or is just left blank.
Locations where you will find a power button on a Dell laptop:
- Top right.
- To the top left.
- Top right edge on or near the keyboard.
On a Dell XPS laptop, you will most likely find the power button in the top right corner of the keyboard or next to the keyboard.
On an Inspiron Dell laptop, the power button is typically located on the top right, on the very edge of the keyboard.
If you’re using an older Dell laptop, you’ll find the dedicated power button on top of your keyboard, which can be on the left or right side.
Reasons why Dell laptops won’t turn on
These are the reasons:
- Power cord.
- Internal connection.
- Hardware problems.
- Excessive heating.
Sometimes a power cord can be the problem. The power cord can be damaged due to electrical problems. There are other instances where you think your power cord is the problem, only to find out it’s the wall plug or extension cord.
Internal connections are extremely important for your laptop to function properly. If you drop or bump something, there’s a small chance that some of the cables in your laptop have come loose. For example, cables like your laptop’s battery connector cable might have come loose because your computer was dropped.
Check all of your internal cables to make sure everything is plugged in properly.
Overcharging your laptop battery can damage it. There are some instances where your battery can discharge even when your charger is plugged in. In such a situation, your battery fails to charge and does not have enough power to power your laptop.
It’s important to check if your battery hasn’t died or just gone bad.
All laptops have a processor and these processors have internal thermal protection that shuts down your laptop if it overheats. In this kind of situation, your laptop will not turn on while your laptop is still very hot. Your laptop needs to cool down before it can actually turn on.
It is important that you check if your laptop is extremely hot.
RAM, motherboard, and processor are the next hardware that could go wrong. If your laptop has bad RAM, this problem can cause your laptop not to turn on. The same applies to the motherboard and processor.
How to turn on a Dell laptop without a power button
- About BIOS Recovery – The idea here is to disconnect everything from your Dell laptop while it is powered off. Then you need to hold down CTRL + Esc and plug in your charger immediately. The moment the screen lights up, you need to release your hand from the buttons.
- Quick Start: This method is a bit dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing. Therefore, I recommend you seek professional help if you are unable to perform this method.
If you’re dying to try this method, here’s how:
Disassemble your laptop and disconnect the cable that connects your power switch to your motherboard connects. Get a flat-mouth display driver and plug it into the first two pins in the power button output while your laptop is plugged in.
How to turn on the Dell laptop
Turning on your Dell laptop is easy and simple if you follow the instructions below correctly. The methods below work on all types of Dell laptops including Inspiron, XPS, Latitude, and more.
- Make sure your Dell laptop is fully charged. If it’s not charged, plug in your charger.
- Open the Dell laptop lid.
- Find the power button and click it once.
- Wait a few seconds for the Dell laptop to boot up.
How to turn on a Dell laptop with a keyboard
Not all Dell laptops have a dedicated power button, which you can see at the top of the keyboard, but some Dell laptops have a power button located between the keys on the keyboard.
- Make sure your battery still has power. If not, plug in your charger.
- Carefully open the cover of your Dell computer.
- Click on the power button located once in the top right corner of your keyboard.
- Wait for your Dell laptop to charge fully.
How to turn on a Dell laptop without a battery
It is possible to turn on your Dell laptop without the battery and this guide will be helpful for those who have lost or damaged the battery.
It’s common knowledge to boot up a Dell laptop with a charged battery, but did you know that you can only turn on your Dell laptop with its charger?
- Make sure the battery is disconnected from your laptop.
- Connect your charger to your Dell laptop. Make sure the charger is supplying power.
- Click your power button once.
- Wait for your Dell laptop to boot up.
How to turn on a Dell laptop without opening the lid
The only way to turn on a Dell laptop without opening the lid is by using the power button on the side of the Dell laptop.
Without a power button or sleep button on the side of the Dell laptop, it is impossible to turn it on the Dell laptop without opening the list.
How to turn on a Dell desktop computer
A desktop is different from a laptop, and turning on a desktop is different from turning on a laptop. A Dell laptop basically has all of its components within itself, but a desktop needs to put its components together before it can function as a full computer.
- Ensure that all required cables are connected to their specific locations.
- Turn on your outlet by plugging in the power cord.
- Turn on your UPS or stabilizer if you are using one.
- Press the power button on your CPU.
- Turn on your monitor by clicking the power button.
- Wait for your desktop to start up.
How to turn on the Dell All-in-One computer
Locate the power button for the Dell All-in-One on the side, top, or bottom of the computer and turn it on.
- Plug the original power cord into your Dell All-in-One PC from your electrical outlet.
- Connect mouse and keyboard.
- Find the power button and click on it.
- Wait a few minutes for your Dell All-in-One to fully boot up.
How to avoid Dell power problems
Update your drivers regularly:
To update your drivers, please visit Dell’s official website to download and install your drivers manually. If you want to save yourself the stress of downloading and installing your laptop driver. You can consider Driver Easy. This software will help you update your drivers automatically.
Set your Windows to run Windows updates automatically. To do this, click Start and search for Windows Update. Open Windows Update and continue. In the advanced settings, you can let Windows automatically update your laptop.
Protect your laptop:
I recommend getting a laptop bag to protect your laptop in any fall.
if you can’t find the power button on your Dell laptop, there are a few things you can do to try and troubleshoot the issue. First, check to see if the battery is fully charged by pressing the power button and selecting ” shutdown.” Next, look for signs of water damage or physical damage to the laptop. If neither of these solutions works, you may need to take your laptop to a technician for further inspection.